Home|Journals Follow on Twitter| Subscribe to List

Directory for Medical Articles
 

Open Access

Original Article

PAFMJ. 2016; 66(3): 390-394


EVALUATION OF THE ROLE OF THE “TADPOLE” ISLAND FLAP IN THE REPAIR OF POSTOPERATIVE PALATAL FISTULAE

Javed Ur Rahman, Mushahid Aslam, Hashim Zaidi, Habib Ur Rehman, Ijaz Bashir, C. Aqeel Safdar.

Abstract
Objective: To retrospectively evaluate the role of tadpole (mucoperiosteal island) flap in palatal fistula repair.
Study Design: Descriptive retrospective study.
Place and Duration of Study: It was conducted at Military hospital Rawalpindi and cleft hospital Gujrat from November 2010 to September 2014.
Material and Methods: Total 38 patients underwent island tadpole flap, two layer, closure of palatal fistula. All patients with palatal fistulae following repair of congenital cleft palate along with recurrent fistulae, i.e., those occurring after one or more previous attempts at fistula repair were included. Patients with asymptomatic fistulae, history of palate repair of less than 6 months duration and fistulae other than those developing after cleft palate repair were excluded from the study; these latter included congenital and infectious causes.Experienced surgeons performed all the repairs and results were evaluated by using SPSS version 17.
Results: Surgery was considered successful on complete anatomical closure of fistula. Thirty-eight patients, 23 (60.5%) males and 15 (39.5%) females, underwent surgery for palatal fistula repair. There were 32 (84.2%) anterior fistulae whilst the remaining 6 (15.8%) were located at the junction of soft and hard palate. The mean fistula size was 8 mm ± 1.6 mm, ranging from 6 mm to 15 mm. Recurrence was noticed in 3 (7.8%) cases with a mean follow up of 20.7± 7.3 months; one out of the 3 cases was small and resolved spontaneously.
Conclusion: The tadpole island flap is a versatile and effective single stage, two-layered fistula repair technique suitable for both, large and recurrent fistulae.

Key words: Mucoperiosteal island flap, Palatal fistula, Tadpole flap.



Share this Article


Advertisement
Applied Medical Research

SUBMIT YOUR ARTICLE NOW


ScopeMed.com
ScopeMed Home
Follow ScopeMed on Twitter
BiblioCAM
Author Tools
eJPort Journal Hosting
About ScopeMed
License Information
Terms & Conditions
Privacy Policy
Contact Us

The articles in Scopemed are open access articles licensed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/4.0/) which permits unrestricted, non-commercial use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the work is properly cited.
ScopeMed is a Database Service for Scientific Publications. Copyright © ScopeMed® Information Services.
Scopemed Buttons