Home|Journals Follow on Twitter| Subscribe to List

Directory for Medical Articles

Open Access

Original Research

Vet World. 2013; 6(6): 291-294

Prevalence of ectoparasite infestations of cattle in Bench Maji zone, southwest Ethiopia

Tesfaheywet Zeryehun Shiferaw, Simeon Haile Onu.

Cited by (1)

Aim: This study was conducted with the aim of determining the prevalence and type of ectoparasitic fauna and associated host-related risk factors in cattle in Bench Maji Zone, Southwestern, Ethiopia, from October 2011 to April 2012.

Materials and Methods: A total of 212 cattle (84 male and 128 female) were sampled and examined. Both physical examination and laboratory investigation were employed in the study.

Results: The study revealed that cattle in the study area were infested with single (24.5%) and multiple (2.8%) ectoparasites with an overall prevalence of 27.3% (58/212). Overall seven species of ectoparasites which belong to tick (16.0%), lice (10.4%) and mite (0.9%), were identified. Seven species of ticks which belong to three genera (Boophilus sp., Amblyoma sp., and Rhipicephalus sp.) were identified. Among the species of ticks Boophilus decoloratus (8.0%), Amblyoma variegatum (4.7%) and Amblyoma coherens (4.2%) were the dominant ones in a decreasing order. Among the three species of lice, the most prevalent was Linognathus vituli (4.7%) followed by Haematopinus euysternus (3.8%) and Damalina bovis (1.9%). Psoroptes bovis (0.9%) was the only mite species recorded in this study. For all ectoparasites there was no statistical deference (p>0.05) between the prevalence of any of the ectoparaisite infestation with regard to sex, age and body condition score.

Conclusion: The present study revealed a high prevalence and diverse fauna of ectoparasites that could potentially hamper the productivity of cattle in the study area, hence serious attention is warranted.

Key words: ectoparasites, Ethiopia, prevalence, ruminants

Full text links

Share this Article

ScopeMed Home
Follow ScopeMed on Twitter
Article Tools
Job Opportunities/Service Offers
eJPort Journal Hosting
About ScopeMed
Terms & Conditions
Privacy Policy
Suggest a Journal
Publisher Login
Contact Us

The articles in Scopemed are open access articles licensed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution Non-Commercial License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/3.0/) which permits unrestricted, non-commercial use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the work is properly cited.
ScopeMed is a Database Service for Scientific Publications. Copyright ScopeMed Information Services.
Scopemed Buttons