Home|Journals Follow on Twitter| Subscribe to List

Directory for Medical Articles
 

Open Access

Case Report

BMB. 2017; 2(1): 29-32


A neglected giant cervical intradural extramedullary tumor

Abdurrahman Aycan, Fetullah Kuyumcu, Mehmet Edip Akyol, Mehmet Arslan.

Abstract
Primary spinal tumors are rarely seen, and representing 4-8% of all central nervous system tumors. Extradural tumors constitute approximately 40% of intraspinal tumors whereas intradural-extramedullary tumors make up the remaining approximately 60%. These tumors are classified as extradural, intradural, extramedullary, and intramedullary depending on their origin and anatomic location. Intradural extramedullary spinal tumors form schwannomas and meningiomas.
Spinal meningiomas are usually intradural extramedullary tumors. Meningiomas can be seen in epidural localization, extradural extension only, with nerve rostral invasion as, vertebral meningioma, or as multiple spinal meningioma.
Spinal meningiomas are the most common intradural-extramedullary tumors and are generally slow-growing. Spinal meningiomas may have different clinical manifestations depending on their location and size. Surgical treatment should be planned according to the size of the tumor in the clinical situation after diagnosis.
This study reports the case of a 57-year-old female patient presenting with a one-month history of increasing weakness in the lower extremities and numbness in the upper extremities. In addition, the report includes a literature review.

Key words: giant cervical spinal tumor, meningioma, posterior stabilization, neglect



Article Language: Turkish English



Share this Article


Advertisement
Journal of Apitherapy

SUBMIT YOUR ARTICLE NOW


ScopeMed.com
ScopeMed Home
Follow ScopeMed on Twitter
BiblioCAM
Author Tools
eJPort Journal Hosting
About ScopeMed
License Information
Terms & Conditions
Privacy Policy
Contact Us

The articles in Scopemed are open access articles licensed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/4.0/) which permits unrestricted, non-commercial use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the work is properly cited.
ScopeMed is a Database Service for Scientific Publications. Copyright © ScopeMed® Information Services.
Scopemed Buttons