Home|Journals Follow on Twitter| Subscribe to List

Directory for Medical Articles
 

Open Access

Original Article

PAFMJ. 2018; 68(1): 165-170


EXPLORING THE STATUS AND DETERMINANTS OF ROUTINE EPI IMMUNIZATION AMONG CHILDREN IN SOUTHERAN DISTRICT OF PUNJAB

Faizan Haider, Khaqan Haider, Shams Ullah, Abid Hussain Rizvi, Muhammad Sadiq Zia, Abeer Ashfaq.

Abstract
Objective: The objective of this study was to explore the status and demographic determinants of completion
rates of routine EPI immunization among children in District Bhakkar.
Study Design: Cross-sectional study.
Place and Duration of Study: This study was conducted, from April to July 2017, at the District Headquarter
Hospital (DHQ) in Bhakkar district.
Material and Methods: Data was collected through non probability convenience sampling. All parents of children
between the age of 18 to 24 months visiting the pediatric outpatient department of DHQ Hospital Bhakkar were
interviewed. They were asked about the status of vaccination of their children and adherence to routine EPI
schedule using a pretested questionnaire. All data were analyzed in SPSS v.20.
Results: A total of 961 respondents agreed to participate in this study. A majority of the children were females
and belonged to the rural areas of Bhakkar. A total of 342 (35.59%) children were unvaccinated. Out of these 342
unvaccinated children, a total of 209 children (61.11%) were partially vaccinated while the rest (n=133, 38.89%)
had received no vaccination at all.
Conclusion: In Southern Punjab, a high percentage of children was partially or completely unvaccinated. Those
children who were females and belonged to rural households were more likely to be unvaccinated than their
counterparts. The main barriers to vaccination were unavailability of vaccinators, ignorance of the importance of
vaccination, irregularities in documentation and poor administering practices.

Key words: Children, EPI schedule, Immunization, Pakistan, Vaccination.



Share this Article


Advertisement
American Journal of Research in Medical Sciences

SUBMIT YOUR ARTICLE NOW


ScopeMed.com
ScopeMed Home
Follow ScopeMed on Twitter
BiblioCAM
Author Tools
eJPort Journal Hosting
About ScopeMed
License Information
Terms & Conditions
Privacy Policy
Contact Us

The articles in Scopemed are open access articles licensed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/4.0/) which permits unrestricted, non-commercial use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the work is properly cited.
ScopeMed is a Database Service for Scientific Publications. Copyright ScopeMed Information Services.
Scopemed Buttons