Apart from skin injuries in the form of burns, passage of electric current seldom leaves significant internal findings at autopsy. Fractures, pulmonary oedema, haemothorax, rhabdomyolysis, renal failure and perforation of viscus have been reported occasionally. Pneumothorax in a case of electrocution is rarely reported and more so occurs when the port of entry of electric current is thorax. Here we report a case where an 18 year old male accidentally got electrocuted while watering lawn and was brought dead to the casualty. Other than joule burn, pulmonary haemorrhage and pneumothorax was observed at autopsy. Other causes for pneumothorax were ruled out as there was no chest injury, underlying lung disease and no resuscitation was attempted on the deceased.
Forensic Science, Forensic Pathology, Electrocution, pneumothorax, joule burn, accidental death