RMJ. 2012; 37(4): 399-402
Complications of laparoscopic cholecystectomy: A study of 1100 cases at Sukkur, PakistanKhush Muhammad Sohu, Azhar Ali Shah, Roshan Ali Solangi, Saima Arshad, M. Rashid Jamal, Riaz Hussain.
Objective: This study was carried out to see the incidence of various complications of laparoscopic cholecystectomy.
Study design: It was an observational case series study.
Place and duration of study: This study was conducted at Sukkur Blood Bank Hospital Sukkur, GMC Teaching Hospital Sukkur and Red Crescent Hospital Sukkur from January 2004 to December 2010.
Patients and methods: This study comprised of 1100 cases. All were admitted from OPDs of all hospitals. All patients had routine investigations, Liver function tests and ultrasound abdomen. The patients who underwent laparoscopic cholecystectomy whether successful or converted were included in this study. The procedure was carried out by standard four port technique. Clinical examination, investigations, operative time, postoperative complications, reasons for conversion and hospital stay were recorded on proforma and results were drawn.
Results: The average age was 47.63 years while male to female ratio 1:4.6. The weight ranged from 41 kg to 127 kg with mean of 64 kg. Main complications observed were hemorrhage in 3.18% cases, bile duct injury in 0.27% cases, retained CBD stones in 0.18%, bile leakage in 1.19% and gut injury in 0.09% cases. Minor complications included gallbladder perforation during procedure in 9.82%, spilled stones in 3.9%, sub umbilical wound infection in 1.6% and illeus in 1.3% cases. Overall conversion rate was 2.9%.
Conclusion: The morbidity and mortality of laparoscopic cholecystectomy are remarkably low. Incidence of complication is very low and less than open cholecystectomy, which makes this procedure safe, effective and procedure of choice for gallbladder disease.
Laparoscopic cholecystectomy, complications.
Journal of Interdisciplinary Histopathology
SUBMIT YOUR ARTICLE NOW