Amitraz is a synthetic formamidine used in veterinary practice for the treatment and control of mites and ticks infestation in animals. Even though amitraz is classified as being slightly toxic to mammals if ingested orally, poisoning in dogs has been reported following dipping. The aim of this clinical study was to manage amitraz poisoning in dogs using intensive supportive care in the absence of the recommended antidotes. Four adult Alsatian dogs presenting with signs of acute amitraz poisoning were managed employing supportive care interventions such as prevention of further absorption, good aeration, fluid therapy and good nursing care. All the affected dogs recovered after 48 hours of initiation of the management. We therefore suggest the provision of an intensive supportive care in the management of amitraz poisoning in dogs even in the absence of the recommended antidotes which are scarce and very expensive when available.
Amitraz, Poisoning, Antidotes, Alsatian dogs.