Home|Journals Follow on Twitter| Subscribe to List

Directory for Medical Articles
 

Open Access

23

PAFMJ. 2015; 65(5): 674-678


OUTCOME OF DECOMPRESSIVE CRANIECTOMY (DC) FOR SEVERE TRAUMATIC BRAIN INJURY (STBI) IN ADULTS

Shahzad Ahmed Qasmi, Abdul Ghaffar, Zahid Hussain, Maqsood Akram.

Abstract
Objective: To evaluate the outcomes of decompressive craniectomy (DC) in adults with severe traumatic brain injury (STBI).
Study Design: Observational cross-sectional.
Place and Duration of Study: Neurosurgical unit CMH Rawalpindi from July, 2011 to June 2014.
Material and Methods: Total of 39 patients who underwent DC for STBI were included in the study. Patients of both sexes and of age range 20 48 (32.03 8.01) years were included in the study. The DC was performed within 24 and after 24 hours. Parameters recorded were mortality, neurological outcome / complications like brain herniation, wound dehiscence, cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) leak, contusion expansion, sinking flap syndrome, subdural hygromas and hydrocephalus. Data was analyzed by using SPSS version 17 and descriptive statistics, frequency, rate and percentage was computed for presentation of qualitative outcomes.
Results: Favourable neurological outcome was seen in 21 patients (53.85%) where as 6 patients (15.38%) had moderate to severe disability and 3 patients (7.69%) were vegetative respectively. Patients operated within 24 hours and with Glasgow coma scale (GCS) range 6-8 had better outcome. . Overall 9 patients (23.08%) did not survive the injury and procedure.
Conclusion: As high mortality is associated with STBI, DC is an effective option to lower down the refractory intracranial hypertension with an acceptable surgical outcome.

Key words: Decompressive craniectomy, Neurological outcome.



Share this Article


Advertisement
Oxidants and Antioxidants in Medical Science

SUBMIT YOUR ARTICLE NOW


ScopeMed.com
ScopeMed Home
Follow ScopeMed on Twitter
BiblioCAM
Author Tools
eJPort Journal Hosting
About ScopeMed
License Information
Terms & Conditions
Privacy Policy
Suggest a Journal
Publisher Login
Contact Us

The articles in Scopemed are open access articles licensed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/4.0/) which permits unrestricted, non-commercial use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the work is properly cited.
ScopeMed is a Database Service for Scientific Publications. Copyright ScopeMed Information Services.
Scopemed Buttons