Home|Journals Follow on Twitter| Subscribe to List

Directory for Medical Articles
 

Open Access

1

IJHSR. 2016; 6(7): 68-73


The Accuracy of Sonographic Determination of Fetal Gender.

Ibrahim Abbas Awad, Zahra’a Munir Al-Safwani.

Abstract
Background: The improvement of high-resolution ultrasound equipment has provided the possibility of determination of the fetal gender during pregnancy. However, because of the way in which the genitalia develop, the accuracy of gender identification is different among gestational age.
Objective: To assess the accuracy fetal gender determination during prenatal screening and to find in which week of the gestational age is more accurate.
Methods: A questionnaire had been distributed to a group of sonographers working in king Abdulaziz University, Jeddah and Khobar hospitals .another questionnaire prepared for a group of women who delivered their babies in those hospitals. Data collected, analyzed by using Microsoft Excel software.
Result: 13 (76%) of the responses indicated that fetal gender determination by ultrasound has a high precision in second trimester (13-27 weeks of gestational age), while the remaining 4(24%) found the gender can identified in the first trimester.
Of the of the total 52 women with ultrasound scan, 50 (96%) knew about the fetal gender during the pregnancy, while only two (4%) answered by no. 46 (92%) of women the gender was the same as determined by ultrasound, while only 4(8%) of women was not. The overall accuracy to correctly determine the fetal gender was 92%.
Conclusion: From this research work we can conclude that prenatal gender assignment by ultrasound has a high degree of accuracy rate at 14 to 21 weeks.

Key words: Ultrasonography, Fetal gender; Fetal sex.



Share this Article


Advertisement
Journal of Environmental and Occupational Science

SUBMIT YOUR ARTICLE NOW


ScopeMed Home
Follow ScopeMed on Twitter
BiblioCAM
Article Tools
eJPort Journal Hosting
About ScopeMed
License Information
Terms & Conditions
Privacy Policy
Suggest a Journal
Publisher Login
Contact Us

The articles in Scopemed are open access articles licensed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/4.0/) which permits unrestricted, non-commercial use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the work is properly cited.
ScopeMed is a Database Service for Scientific Publications. Copyright © ScopeMed® Information Services.
Scopemed Buttons