Ingestion of foreign body is a common clinical entity encountered in clinical practice. It can be accidental as seen in children or can be intentional in psychiatric patients. However most of the foreign bodies pass without causing any complications. Only about 1% is known to cause complications particularly gastrointestinal perforations. Coins, toy parts, spoons, spring coils, nails, fish bone batteries and dentures are commonly ingested items. Endoscopy can be tried in cases of ingested foreign bodies for their removal which are present in stomach or duodenum. However cases of hollow viscus obstruction and perforation require exploratory laparotomy. In this report we present an unusual case who presented to emergency room with acute abdomen secondary to foreign body ingestion causing intestinal perforation that underwent a laparotomy for removal of foreign body.
Foreign body, Peritonitis