Home|Journals Follow on Twitter| Subscribe to List

Directory for Medical Articles
 

Open Access

1

Gulhane Med J. 2014; 56(2): 65-70


The comparative results of three different real-time PCR assays: MY09/11 primers failed to detect multiple infections

Fatih Şahiner, Kenan Şener, Ramazan Gümral, Mehmet Yapar, Murat Dede, Nuri Yiğit, Ayhan Kubar.

Abstract
HPV-DNA testing is widely used worldwide today and it has become an important part of cervical cancer screening programs. The aim of this study is re-evaluating the effectiveness of MY09/11 consensus primer system, which is one of the most widely used HPV-DNA tests, by using a different approach. In this study, MY09/11 consensus PCR and two different TaqMan-based type-specific PCR assays were used for investigation of the presence of 17 different HPV types in cervical smear samples. Of the 470 samples, 33.2% (156/470) were HPV-DNA positive by at least one of the three methods and remains were negative by all methods. A total of 220 different HPV isolates were identified in 149 samples by the type specific PCR, while the nine samples were positive by consensus PCR only. A single HPV type was detected in 64.4% (96/149) of the genotyped samples, and multiple HPV types were detected in the remaining 35.6% (53/149). MY09/11 PCR failed to detect 21.2% (33/156) of all HPV-DNA positive samples and the rates of false negative results were 18.75% (18/96) and 28.3% (15/53) in single and multiple infections, respectively. We conclude that highly sensitive type-specific PCR tests may be a useful tool for screening of cervical cancer.

Key words: HPV, real-time PCR, MY09/11, multiple infection



Share this Article


Advertisement
Journal of Contemporary Medical Education

SUBMIT YOUR ARTICLE NOW


ScopeMed.com
ScopeMed Home
Follow ScopeMed on Twitter
BiblioCAM
Author Tools
eJPort Journal Hosting
About ScopeMed
License Information
Terms & Conditions
Privacy Policy
Suggest a Journal
Publisher Login
Contact Us

The articles in Scopemed are open access articles licensed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/4.0/) which permits unrestricted, non-commercial use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the work is properly cited.
ScopeMed is a Database Service for Scientific Publications. Copyright © ScopeMed® Information Services.
Scopemed Buttons