Home|Journals Follow on Twitter| Subscribe to List

Directory for Medical Articles
 

Open Access

1

JARMS. 2013; 5(2): 144-148


“Study to Assess the Severity of Thrombocytopenia and Bleeding time in Children in Malaria”

*Rajendra Thakral, Sangita Singhal.

Abstract
To evaluate the severity of thrombocytopenia and prolonged bleeding time in patients with malaria. This cross sectional descriptive study was conducted at tertiary care hospital. All patients from 6 year to 18 year of age, of either gender presenting with shaking chills, high grade fever, sweating and are often associated with fatigue, headache, dizziness, nausea, vomiting, abdominal cramps, or fever with unconsciousness and febrile seizures were enrolled and evaluated for presence of malaria through thick and thin blood smear slides. The malaria diagnosed subjects were further assessed for thrombocytopenia and its severity. Out of 220 suspected cases of malaria, 200 (89%) were found to be positive for malarial parasite on blood smear slides. The plasmodium vivax was identified in 104 (52%) patients while Plasmodium falciparum in 96 (48%) subjects. The females were ninety six (48%) where as remaining 52% were males (P=0.04). Out of two hundred, 74 (37%) patients were unconscious, 14 (7%) were semiconscious and 112 (56%) patients were conscious. The thrombocytopenia was observed in 144 (72%) subjects, of which 37 had mild (26%), 71 (49%) has moderate and 36 (25%) had severe thrombocytopenia (P=0.01). In 42 Plasmodium vivax infected and 52 Plasmodium faiciparum infected thrombocytopenia patients the bleeding time was observed as prolonged.

Key words: Thrombocytopenia, Plasmodium faiciparum



Share this Article


Advertisement
American Journal of Preventive Medicine and Public Health

SUBMIT YOUR ARTICLE NOW


ScopeMed Home
Follow ScopeMed on Twitter
BiblioCAM
Article Tools
eJPort Journal Hosting
About ScopeMed
License Information
Terms & Conditions
Privacy Policy
Suggest a Journal
Publisher Login
Contact Us

The articles in Scopemed are open access articles licensed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/4.0/) which permits unrestricted, non-commercial use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the work is properly cited.
ScopeMed is a Database Service for Scientific Publications. Copyright © ScopeMed® Information Services.
Scopemed Buttons